El Bulli

If you were a long time reader you would know that I bash molecular gastronomy all the time.  Maybe its just because I am old skool, or maybe its just that I don't get it. Maybe its because I think it will suck. See....awesome...

But, then again, maybe it is that I have never been exposed to the pure form...the pinnacle of the movement.  Last night I finally watched Decoding Ferran Adria with Tony Bourdain.  And it clicked...when a master performs, then it can be mind changing.  It was a good episode, worth youtubing...and then conveniently it was on HD when I got home.  The current episode was also showing last night, maybe you caught it...I will have to hit the DVR later in the week.

It all comes down to his philosophy.  Every ingredient is the same...a peach or foie gras.  Carrots or bluefin tuna.  Its how you treat them, how you respect them, and how you serve them.

I am not going to be using calcium chloride anytime soon, but I respect the man and his mission.

Comments

Popular Posts