the last

So today was the last day of work...with us leaving back to the mainland on Wednesday. It was a day of a whole lot of what I am going to miss, and a little of what I am not.

First I am going to miss my cooks and the people I work with side by side in the trenches daily.

here they are:

Myrna who single handed puts out breakfast for 300 covers everyday like clockwork...
Kyle, our saucier
Nolito, lead cook
Jed, cafeteria cook, and Pedro, night time banquets
Our purchasing guys, and two pigs...Felipe, Rudy, Michael
My nannas...Carmelita and Josie


Richard and Ha'aheoMy team in the AM...garde manger and hot banquets...

These are the ones who have taught me what ALOHA is all about. And the ones who I am going to miss the most...their spirit of generosity and love of each other and the outpouring of affection towards myself and my loved ones has proven that the spirit of aloha is not dead in Hawai'i and shown me what the true nature of being in the ohana is all about. This is the feast for breakfast that we had and the cake they brought in for me.


I truly am going to miss this aspect of what I do.

But I am not going to miss this little bit...the passive aggressive note I had in my box from someone who read linecook richie's words that I quoted on my site and then highlighted some little passages from the quote. Nice...I am not going to miss that at all mr you know who you are. This is the quote

’a quick rant.

are you finding yourself dreading work? do you stand there with your arms folded, a sour look on your face, and a shitty attitude during service? are you just going through the motions, working towards your friday? are you interested in progressing anymore? do you communicate through shrugs and mumbled insults? have you gotten too comfortable? if so, then please fuck off and stop cooking already. if you really do love cooking, then please go cook somewhere that suits you. no one is chained to their job--so stop being a baby and acting like you can’t leave. do something you probably haven’t done in your entire career and take a motherfucking risk. so what if you fall flat on your face? at least then you’ll have perspective. thank you, you may now continue reading.’


Now wtf? And if this is what you feel about my leaving then you will never get it. I am not going to miss that...or being told that no one in the kitchen likes working with me...which I know is a crock...so please leave that out of my 'verbal evals' from now on. I am taking that risk...for me, for my family, and because of you.

To all the rest of you, many mahalos, and much aloha. To the team that is taking over and has to deal with all the rest, good luck.

And now that I am unemployed...ARE YOU GOING TO HIRE ME OR WHAT?

Comments

Matt said…
passive agressive?! WTF back at ya MR. Take a close look at your blog it is very passive agressive. Imagine having conversations with you and then reading your blog the next day. Aloha?? you never muttered the word for two years until the end when you decided it might be better to be nice to people instead of being anti-social. You never even scratched the surface of what hawaii or aloha is about. Unfortunate for you. and I never said people did not like you I tried like hell to coach you on being a more positive manager. lesson lost obviously. Would I re-hire you NO not based on skills but maturity. Yes you did not get it my friend. Best of luck in Texas the epic center of culinary arts. and when you can mail back the room service mats under your knives from the picture in the blog please do so.
ps do you have the balls to leave this comment up or is your blog just for blasting other people and not being honest with yourself.
GROW UP!
JEF said…
Right now... ure probably wondering how these guyz found about this blog? Guess what We've been reading this blog since the destruction of the other one and the inception of this one... HA-HA!!

I've waited two long years to leave a comment on your.... passive aggressive, anti-social, anti-corp., anti-aloha, one sided emotional out burst, blog of misery!! Oh ya & tidbits of educational culinary insight!

For all the bull-s&@t comments, direct rants, name calling, personal attacks on myself & rest. mangr. (for whom I have a personal attachment too.)

"FUCK YOU & FUCK OFF!!......

If you would've quit blaming others for the self inflicted world of hell/misery you created for yourself and go outside and absorb & indulge yourself in the beautiful surroundings, culture, people & most importantly for a chef the endless culinary possibilities in Pacific Rim cuisine you might have been happy for just a moment. Another lesson lost by you!!

Then just then maybe you would have lived Aloha....

Best of luck finding the perfect, happy, wonderful kitchen with soul that you so desire in the Culinary Mecca of Austin, TX. I'm sure you'll fit right back in with rest of the other rebel flag wavers....

I'm sure that a person of your culinary stature, knowledge, education, creativity, managerial skills, people skills & a overall well rounded skill set would never have the BALLS to re-apply for the same "SOULLESS CORPORATION" for which he just quit!!

On behalf of that "SOULLESS CORP." that you speak so so poorly about.... We don't want or need ya!! It's people like you that give Hotel chefs a bad rap.

OH ya, and I do get it also!!

Misery loves company, hence... Le Cochon De Chef.

Aloha, Aloha, & Aloha.....
Matt said…
Oh by the way Richy,

We are all doing just fine since you have departed. The "ones left behind" are happy and productive and it actually seems as though a little dark cloud has lifted since your departure. Everyone is just fine. Who da F%$^%$ do you think you are?
Please Continue on with your illusions of granduer in Texas my friend!
chef said…
ps, in case you were confused...since you have been calling me Richy/Richie. I am NOT linecook's Richie...My name is Rich. RIchie is a fab sous chef in the bay area...I am not a fab sous chef in the bay area. Therefore, the words...once again...that you quoted and so elegantly highlighted...were not mine to you...but his to a cook, that I felt were important for ME to hear...as much of this blog is. For me.

Popular Posts