cooking again...

for myself this time. It’s been too long surviving on sandwiches and frozen pizza dressed up to represent something else. So, twice in one week I have actually made plates of food, garnished them and sat down for meals. Granted the plates have not been warmed, the table is still leaning against the couch sitting on the floor, the food is quick, it’s still better than the past six months. It requires actual shopping and knifing and seasoning and thought. Who am I kidding, better than the past who knows how many years? One of the perils of the single life, no matter the gender, when you spend your days cooking for other people. Or even the double life for that matter.

At the place the other day when I said that I do whatever is quick, I realized that this applies for others as well as myself and I miss having the luxury of more time to sear and braise, cure and coddle, research, ruminate and relax into the routine, rinse and repeat. Lately it is about get it there, get it there fast, fill it up. Then move on to the next blank spot. There are too many gaping holes that need attention to be able to devote the passion to celebrating the seasonality of what we should be cooking right now.

Winter has arrived, a hair over 20* today, brilliantly sunny, eye tearing wind. This is the time to cook it low and slow and simmer yourself as you simmer the meal at hand. Ideas projected in summer are just now making their way into the mix. Summer ideas that were meant for, well, summer. Not exactly where we sit for the next turn. Have to dredge up the thought from last year that never came to fruition and get them in this time around. Summer can wait till summer. I’m in the mood for heft and heat and heart. Not necessarily in that order.

Comments

Popular Posts