coming to jesus

We had one of those types of staff meetings today. Starting with talking about the customer service video we watched last week (which had and has some great points, not that I want to get on that bandwagon in any way) to let out what you have been holding back. The holding back brought nothing really new, simply that which has been squelched publicly though voiced all along. Do I feel like a crappy manager who has no clue how to 'manage'? Oh yeah.

Here all along for the past year I thought I was getting the hang of it finally dealing with the same people day in and out. Life crisis, getting a thank you note from one who needed more time, having the boss out and shifting priorities hourly, having it all somehow hang together. Yup, stands for nothing. It all feels like it is sucky.

What did I say at the meeting? Need you all to (once again, why does this have to be said every time? and this really can't be new information that we want you to act, if not really believe- this reflects on you since you wear the white jacket and that is all the customer sees (they do not care if you specialize- they want answers and consolations) need you all to take ownership. Not my job/problem/area? I DON'T CARE. You wear the jacket, you care.

Savory vs. sweet. Holiday menu vs. every day. Hot bar vs. salad bar. Cold case vs. grab n go. It's really all the same. Really. The customer does not care what we do when they see us in the white jacket. It's all the same to them. It needs to be all the same to us. We all own all of it. If you can't agree with that, it is time to move on.

I know I am tired and getting burnt and missing the game of restaurant where it is easier to drive the bus. NOT ready to walk back in tomorrow and tell staff that things are changing, yet again, and not changing how I want them to. Need more control...

Comments

Popular Posts