ink & observation

Heading into the tail end of four much appreciated days off given to me when J arrived back in town. I missed him so much, I gave him a spoon. Not that any of them read this; those that know about me and my spoons will know the significance. This is not about spoons though, it's about details. Wandered the valley today stopping at flea markets, inside and out, getting sun, seeing more evidence of people who annoy me and why I should not have weekends (let alone holiday ones) off, found one useful item. Contraband papers for the tobacco I roll that are not sold individually. I'll be back for those after this purchase is gone.

Heading home, it's finally hot, the sun is out in New England after grey every day for what feels like centuries. Tomatoes- I need tomatoes. Stop at the place to get them and get out fast. Give a hard time to staff hanging out in the parking lot (in the parking lot!) on days off; go to a park where there are tables and grass and trees for effing sake. the boss drives up as I am pulling out. For him, I can spare some time. No call/no show in the kitchen yesterday, we are over that, this one is done. No call/no show in FOH today, may be good, not reliable enough, time to get rid of that one as well... Time for a smoke? Repark car, walk around corner.

Now, those of you who knew me in my recent past heard on many an occasion- 'tattoos are stupid'- I still say it today; it was quoted at me no less... However, when the sun is out in New England, I am wearing tank tops. The truth becomes apparent. Yeah, I've got 'em. Yeah, I don't think they are stupid at all, for the most part. Someone I have worked with for almost a year joined us in the smoking shed and commented that she did not know I have ink. Is this because there is no way to tell when I am in whites? Is this because of lack of observation. It could be either in this case though I am leaning towards the latter.

The point of all this? It is fascinating to have been with pretty much the same people day in and day out of the last 365 and realize that there is still so much they don't know. And there is a lot they do. As I've written before, it takes adjusting. It's also fascinating to note who observes what and what the observant ones may miss. While I have been grumpy and feeling massively under appreciated of late I'm not likely going anywhere. There is too much here, for now...

Comments

Popular Posts