some days

are a little too quiet. Today was one. At the same time, it was a hailstorm. Let's focus on the quiet part for now. The kitchen seemed to be on a blessed day of autopilot. Arrived to ask one AM baker who is part time if the 40 hours of vacation requested next week would affect hours for the remainder of the month. 'Nope. And, hey, next month I will be available 30 hours a week'. Great, I have no need for that time. Hey (on my end), I've now done this AM bake thing a few times and realize that there is no reason for 4:30 start time- it's disgusting actually. Six AM is plenty of leeway to get it all on the floor and dick around and move on to production. Nice to be told that my end of the interaction was handled well by an observer with astute observations.

Moving on? Ordering, check. Cheese person called out- conjunctivitis- bummer. Big order arrives? OK, tag team it with the boss, price, label, fill case, 1/2 hour. Next? Quick meeting in the smoking lounge to tell me that I really need to address upset cook and make nice when it is really time to part ways; did not get to have the specific talk although I played nice for the daily necessary interaction and will address it soon as I can. Interview time for vacant management position which takes all of us away from the floor for questions that are answered from the get go with 'what I really want to do is get back to cooking'. Excellent. This position has little to nothing to do with cooking.

Moving on? More ordering, tracking down misdirected orders, calling about product that should have been picked up, brain drain with schedule, entering new items into scale, requesting data entry for new cheese (excellent to have real water buffalo mozzarella!), 2nd shift cheese person calls out, kitchen still humming along and the cases don't look to shitey. PM dishwasher has a migraine? OK, PM cooks willing to fill in as can. Next up? Managers meeting. The dreaded 1 1/2 plus hours of potential story time, useful information, more work, more tent parties, planning promotions, hearing about attended conferences, news that feels dire and gets the pit in my gut roiling.

Moving on? I think that is enough for a day that still ends with a good conversation with a key player and mentioning to J that I am 'not your secretary'. Some things are consistent in my life. Day off tomorrow to laundry, bill pay, clean, pretend I am an adult. Then back to it early Thursday with a smile on my face thinking about the friend filled wedding I'll be cooking for on my weekend. Overall? This is a good day. Get rid of the roiling and I'll look forward to them all. Not like I don't already.

Chef- you out there, somewhere?

Comments

Popular Posts