Here I am....

oh I am here.

I am struggling with every chef's dilemma...not enough time for thoughts. Or for sleep...

My days are long and full of the ups and downs of two services and each place has its own unique dramas, fetishes, personal issues, and cantankerous points.

The bakery is chill...except for the lunch rush, which is insane. We have management who don't know what their about, we have no focus form above about the issues, we have snotty barisstas and deli peeps who could only slow you down more if you tied them to your leg. Its a good gig mostly. I have been given the go ahead by the chef to set up a cheese program and so I will be developing myself into a cheesemonger...with a focus on marketing and implementation of our deli case to push sales. Now whether this has been passed on to the management...that is another thing. We'll see how it goes...credit aps are pending and I have already had one supplier drop by with samples and personal encounters. SO it looks good going forward. Now if we could just get the staffing and ordering and interpersonal issues out of the way.

I am not a manager here. I have no author-i-tie. So I try to stay out of the way and make sure that my dept causes no problems and that we perform and that we have what we need to do our jobs. I am not privy to the big picture, although I can make educated guesses. But I do have the know how to do what needs to be done. And given the time and the focus, I could make this a very efficient and easily run place that is well organised and easy to maintain. How ever, that is not my focus nor do I have the time or energy to maintain it right now due to my primary job. So instead of being put to good use making the place easier to live/work in...I am here maintaining the status quo. Good times...

The primary job has its issues too. Since every day I work is a double that starts at 630am and ends around midnight, I am working about 18 hours a day sometimes...not so cool. Eventually it will catch up to me and I can definitely feel the cycle affect my performance...as has been mentioned to me by the CdC already. We are working through a new schedule cycle that will help me not be so exhausted, but still...I just want to sleep when I get home and not do much else.

My personal neighborhood has become the 5 blocks between one job and the other...I see the same people, I have coffee at the same place, I walk the same path...etc...the thing is...I live 30 minutes away.

So we shall see how long this double life will last...I have already said that the when the time comes that I dread going to one of the places...then that is time to quit.

Until then its paying the bills...

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts