the bear in the tree

So, this really has nothing to do with food except that it caused me to be late for my job that involves food.

Monday morning, wake up, do my thing, read headlines, email, look at what other opportunities might arise in my neighborhood, the usual. Crash out my front door to get in the car and drive to the place. Lots to order, cook, organize, it's inventory Monday after all, again, the usual. Half way down the front walk which, mind you, is not long. From across the street I hear 'there's a bear in the tree' at about the same time this growl erupts and I look up, not high, about 10 feet, and less than 20 yards from where I stood. Sure as shit- there she was.

Can you say adrenaline?! Ironically enough, I had just read in that mornings paper about how to respond to seeing a bear since there were six sightings/interactions around town over the weekend. Let me just put it down here- the first instinct is flight. The worst thing to do since predators look at the fast moving object as a potential toy or game or meal or what have you. Made it back into the apartment hallway feeling really shaky. That growl flooded my system and it took two hours for my muscles to begin relaxing.

Just a sow protecting her cubs as they wander about looking for food and generally being teenagers. Cops waving people off the street. The mailman on the other side still doing what he does. Pictures being taken (of course, my camera is at work since we use it for adding to the catering portfolio), no cars driving by, quiet time. She decides to take a stroll around, moves into the tree where the cubs are. Needless to say, I am still not really all that comfortable walking out to go to the car to go to the place. Put in orders from home, look out the window, make more calls, look out the window again, muscles still tense.

Cubs still in the tree, no sign of mama bear. Is she around in the side yard that I cannot see? Call to the local copshop. 'There is a cruiser on your street'. Well, I don't see them and I don't see the bear, just the cubs. Can you tell me where she might be? 'The bear is in back yards on the other side of the street. You should be fine'. Time to go face the world.

Got in the car, drove to the place, did the thing. Coming home and imagining every shadow to be a limb was not so much fun. No further sightings on this street. And, now I have a good story about calling in late (which those of you who know me know that I absolutely abhor and do everything possible to avoid). I do not live in the country. I live less than a five minute walk from Main St. in a New England college town with lots of noise and traffic and activity. A bear? In a tree? In front of your house? Please...

Comments

Popular Posts