sort of monday

My real Monday was spent running errands and sleeping in finally. So today will be my Monday at work. And I am ready to go. I feel refreshed and have had a good day off to focus on other things. After the rough end of last week due to just the sheer hours catching up to me, we had a great mothers day night on the line, smooth and no issues.

My ex wife has brought up that she thinks I should move to the north Houston area and go work at this Michelin 3 star restaurant in Del Lago. She said that she and her family went there on mothers day and it was the best food she had had in a long time. I appreciate that she thinks that is where I should be, but since we have been separated, my whole attitude towards cooking and eating have changed. Back then I wanted to do fine dining. I thought it was the pinnacle of what a cook should aspire to.

As I have said before, I would love to work for TK at the French Laundry. It has been my dream for 10 years now almost. But the reality of life these days and my attitude towards food makes me think that if I were to ever work for Keller, it would be at Bouchon, or Ad Hoc. I just don't like fine dining anymore. Not that I wouldn't enjoy tFL, it is just a little to froo froo for me.

So as my attitude towards food has changed so has my desire to work in different places. As I have said before as well, I want to work in a place where everyone is having a good time, the staff and the guests, and the food is prepared well, but maybe not so 'intently' focused on the presentation. Lets say Au Pied de Cocohon type of place. Fun and excess and hard work and good food.

So right now, the fancy bbq place is a good place for me. I can cut up pigs, make charcuterie happen, make foie gras poutine if I want, and have a good time while I am there. So it makes sense that I am happy to go to work every day. It is what I have been looking for, for a while. If I can keep up with the hours at both jobs, then I will be able to pay bills, and that is also on the list of things that keeps me sane. I said when I left Hawaii, that if I could find a job line cooking at a good food fun place, and still pay my bills, then that is what I wanted to do. And here I am.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amazing as I get older I feel the same way. I use to work at the Inn at Little Washington. And for years my interest was in high end fine dining.
Over the last few years I no longer feel the same as I really wish great food could be more accessible to a wider audience.
Last month I visited Au Pied de Cochon for the first time and was blown away. And yes, After watching the cooks in the open kitchen I could not help but think how cool it must be to work here.
Robert

Popular Posts