heart breaking

One of the true joys of my current position is that I get to be intimately involved with cheese. In the not so distant past, we took over the managing of the cheese/bread/wine/beer; ok, my boss did, I just get to go along for the ride. As those who know me know, I am a cheese snob. So is he. It requires balance and a fair amount of compromise to convince the hordes to buy what we want them to and to present what they are looking for in these trying times. I think we are putting forward a decent effort. Artisinal farmstead next to commodity? Not my ideal, it seems to be working though. Tasting portions of $25.99/# cheese? Great way to get 'em hooked. And we are getting there. You really don't need a lot to get hooked. This is the fun part. Now on to the not so fun events of the week...

Monday- inventory. Tuesday- weekly meeting and playing catch up. Wednesday- should have been getting ready for the 1st year festivities. However, yes, however, never a good beginning to a story. Wednesday 7 am. I walk into the kitchen and get the news. BIG news. Fucked up news. Overnight the entire case where cheese is displayed has frozen. What does this mean? Over $6K of retail cheese is frozen solid. Can I say that again? FROZEN SOLID. What does this mean to non-cheese knowers and cheese knowers alike? It means that the cheese has been altered. Once thawed, will the fat content seem out and be lumpy congealed unappetizing cold lumps of grease collecting on that previously luscious paste? In all likelihood.

And the cheese makers? We cannot do their labor (and effort and hours of milking and curdling and scooping and mixing and salting and draining and turning and rubbing and brining and curing and washing and injecting) honor by trashing their finished product like this. LOTS of effort on their (and their animals' parts). This is the heart breaking portion of tonight's breaking news. It all sucked. And, it all has to be written off.

Verge of tears? Again, those of you who know me know that this is not my normal operating mode. Yet, there I was, for hours. What a shameful waste. It's been a few days and I have not yet come to terms with the event. Especially since, in hindsight, I have learned that it could have been avoided if warnings had been heeded. Disclaimer- the warnings were not sent to me or my boss- I will now demand being on that list. Where am I going with all this? I have no idea except to lay out a portion of my week.

Still loving it? Yes. Getting a bit frustrated with the daily blips? Absolutely. I am not there; I want everyone to be on the intent for perfection that involves respecting the people who produce our food first and foremost. Enough gloom and doom for the day. I also got to make tamales this week. Always a bright point...

Comments

Popular Posts