day one

The new job, day one, nervousness AND anticipation AND excitement after the good stages. Where? Not really going to name them since I have not broadcast that I blog (which hast been kept up lately due t the move and no internet...but now we are connected again), nut if you read the last post and know of the only upscale bbq place in town...well...there you go. Young cooks, Guatemalans, me, the CdC, grill cook from Chicago, etc...PIA stairs down to the prep room dungeon/walkin/office in the basement, and steep ass stairs up to the restrooms on the 2nd floor...good times.

300# pig good times!!!!

We got a whole pig delivered by our cray french pig/rabbit/etc farmer; ordered by the CdC so that we could 'play'. The grill guy came in early to learn about cuttin up a pig. So he and I went down to the dungeon and worked our way through the first half together...me remembering and him learning how to break down a side into primals. And then we went quicker and cleaner through the second half until our last portion breakdown where we discovered a huge nasty puss filled cyst in the loin. Probably the single grossest thing to ever happen to me in the kitchen. Its hard not to almost puke when you are slicing the separate the loin form the chops and 2 cups of pus squirt out onto the table....needless to say, we are getting a new pig half from the purveyor. And we will start pig butchery 2.0 when it gets here.

Same day we were smoking a 40# piglet for another local chef in our smoker so that he could have a party at his house.

Like I said good times!

Chicken galantine good times!!!!

And they used to say that you wold never use classic garde manger charcuterie in the modern kitchen. Its not dead...nor will it ever. Chicken galantine stuffed with chicken mousseline and dried cherries...sliced, grilled, plated over favas and marinated piave vechio...a little chili oil and topped with pea shoots...yum, if you eat chicken.

Smooth services and all.

Day two?!

Busy because of special cinco de mayo mumbo jumbo...over 200 covers int he restaurant...which seats sixty, so plenty busy for us. Once again smooth...the spanish is coming the back...I can still 'dance' and the sense that has been lacking is here.

I am in the right place. Maybe not the right places...but the right place. I am still working the other job as well...not so fun, but still pays well, and still for people I like. It might go away...we'll see how long I can work doubles and how soon the other restaurant where I staged might need me...same owners as the bbq...so plenty of fun/hours/money to be had.

Hopefully more to come from the inside soon.

Comments

Popular Posts