a thing to make you hmmmm.....

last night we went into

Cipollina-West Austin Bistro

for a little late night snackin...well not so late but it was after nine...so anyway...there were just us two and another couple in the whole place and it seemed like they wanted to close early...but served us anyway. They had a really cool looking red wine in a mini keg with a vacuum pour spout (like a box wine has) that was inexpensive and from Italy...had a sample...it was good.

The place is a small neighborhood bistro...nice menu...wood oven pizzas...we had house cured bacon and gorgonzala...super good.

Anyway, the point is...as we sat there eating I kept looking into the open kitchen at one of the chefs...and I was thinking that I knew him...but couldn't place him...but then again this has been happening a lot since we have been back. At the end on the way out I asked the server what his name was and he came over as I was talking...turns out he and I used to work at a country club north of Houston together...6 years ago...we were both looking at each other and thinking the same thing...I know that guy!

So its a small world...and I got a temp job offer to help him put on some gigs for local types and get in with the local farm to market foodies who need small time caterings. Lets just say its good to be recognized for the work you have done in the past as well as the work ethic that you have. Turns out this is going around...got another call today from a chef who heard I was on the lookout and apparently two places want to talk to me. Good times!

So it seems that it does pay to ignore work politics and to bust your ass to do what is right. The right thing to work on your rep as a cook and your skills and not on the things that are not important.

Comments

Popular Posts