the stages

so amidst all of this moving and running around and getting settled, I dropped some resumes and got some fast responses. So over the last two nights I have done stages at two different places but kinda under the same umbrella. It seems like people really do respect the culinary school you went to...and the people who you have worked with at good palces also respect you for how you work...funny how that works...especially since I know the ones who don't still read this...so anyway, I got a call from the chef de cuisine of one place and then the chef de cuisine from the other place who it turns out I worked with before at some hotel here in Austin. Good times...he set me up a meeting with the owners and away we went.

The first night was at a 'fancy' barbecue place downtown. Good times...huge smoker, house cured meats and charcuterie, actually seemed like a real kitchen...and was a good time...deep clean and all that night...came home smelling off wood smoke and with a job offer.

The second was at these guys newest restaurant, been open a week or so, all seafood. S0 last night was a little different, not as smooth a staff, but with a lot of guys trying. I am not the strongest fish cook, but I learn fast and held my own on the line when the chef went off. Once again, it seemed like a real kitchen with cocky hacks and a cranky chef, and busy times. I had a real good time, learned a little, tried to cut a finger off, and so on...have a job offer from the chef as well, but will need to finalize the details with the owners/executive chefs as to really where they need me the most and where the money will be right. Maybe be at both places as a tournant...who knows.

It is good to be respected for what you know and bring to the table. In addition to being able to look forward to new faces and new knowledge. And it will be nice to get in at these to places since they are part of the local foodie scene.

Will let you know.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts