Silence

I originally thought that moving back into the world would bring more noise into my life. This has not been the case and I am finding myself to be ok with that. Emerging from the kitchen silence has been enough. Collaboration is beginning to take form and slowly we are shaping what the people want. When I first moved back here I was under the impression that there was more fascination with the food world. This also turns out not to be the case.

I am not as ok with this and want to be part of getting this community to care fiercely about what they eat instead of settling. Given that I have not talked to many outside of work, it should be no surprise that it's not happening yet. The ones I talk to are physically far away and feel much the same. We all seem to be questioning where this ride is taking us; not that we are discontent to take it as it comes. I did have a face to face yesterday wondering about past choices and voicing the fact that I have not always taken control of searching and settled for what comes along. I feel good about the negotiations that took place when I accepted the current gig. It will not happen overnight as the kinks are still being massaged and the place is in soft opening phase.

Talked to Walker last night; one of those semi-delirious late night ramblings that had little direction and was endlessly fascinating; story time. He is dealing with a finally busy fine dining place in Boston during restaurant week. Everyone comes out looking for the deals and the seats are full and he gets to do his thing while busting his butt to prove his intent in getting a sous position when it opens up. I'm glad that he is in a place he can express his ambition and those above him start to see him in a new light. Here's to more of that for all of us.

And back at the ranch. more experimenting- apparently the people like frittata, scheming and playing. With what you ask? Bones, drains, sculptures, hoses and, oh yes, food. Now, on a one day off before heading back in, the silence is welcome again and I feel no compulsion to push myself out and begin to look inside again. That realization of stepping back from a long carried habit is upon me again. It starts by sitting, then by opening to allow that excitement of possibility to carry me into the days without allowing the fear that there is nothing to put me off the ride again. Time to listen to the gospel of Bill Hicks once more...

Comments

Popular Posts