tired

There is a lot going on at work with looking to increase sales, lessen labor hour, general asking people to do more with their time while cutting hours and increasing product. Someone gives notice? Not replaced. We'll take it on. Manager of a department no longer there? Sure, we can do that as well. Need people shifted to another department to cover hours? We're your team. While I know it is all possible, there was a culture created when the place opened of we will be the best and have the best for the least amount of money to our customers. Not very realistic.

Sticker shock aside, there are some items we cannot produce fast enough to meet demand (thanks MK house brined and roasted turkey),people eat chicken it all its guises as if there is no tomorrow and the hippy patties are the greatest since sliced bread. Quesadillas are picking up as well. So, now we are figuring what they want and aside orders are picking up as well. Seven platters last Sunday, on the fly fresh baked cookies, another five platters for Thursday. All this without advertising the catering yet! What happens when menus go live on the 15th?

I know I just got back from a weekish off. Heading into day seven tomorrow straight with inventory and covering and and and. It's always something. Makes me wonder what work ethic means in this day and age. When I hear that someone tells the chef that s/he will produce work of $12.oo/ hr when they are paid that amount blows me away. Seems like you should be busting your butt and doing extra hoping to get noticed without being asked. Maybe I don't understand life these days and operations have changed. Maybe I am just getting old.

I got where I am right now by doing what I saw needed to be done, doing it without being asked, trying to lead by example and basically attempting to accomplish more than possible every day. In other words- being a control freak. Now I have a daily struggle with thoughts of how to inspire, provoke, cajole, request, tickle the best out of what we have to do more with less. Pulling back is always harder than adding as needed. Meanwhile, I still get to cook every day; counts for something..

Comments

Popular Posts