oh really?!?!?

Crabs feel pain, retain memory of it, researchers say

New proof that animals feel pain, particularly those that we were always told didn't feel pain when you cooked them live.

When I was teaching I always had a problem with the other old school instructors who cooked lobsters various ways. Some would drop them right in the pot, some would pull the flopping tails off and then throw both head and tails in the pot. Some would pour not quite boiling water on top of the live lobsters...thus lengthening the time until they were 'dead'.

Now, I am firm anti-Peta type. I think they have a good message some times, but I also think they need to get on with their lives and do something else besides protest foie gras...like protest battery cages and Smithfield's cafo hog farms, but anyway.

But I do think that you need to not allow any animal suffer if you plan on eating it. So it has always been my policy to assassinate the lobsters with a knife through the head before cooking. Is this less painful? Possibly...but I personally think that a knife in the head would put me out of my misery before being dropped into a pot of hot water. It gets me some looks form other cooks, occasionally it has gotten me chewed out by higher up chefs, but I think it is the right thing to do.


Comments

Popular Posts