eating local, again, at last

Tonight's dinner? Yes, another sandwich. The difference? Locally baked El Jardin batard, MK turkey breast roasted in house, Red Fire farm greenhouse arugula, feels like it is fall outside and yet all I want is to shove raw green things in my mouth. How I long for a bread baker that will make solo loaves. I LOVE bread; plain, buttered, olive oiled, toasted, sandwiched, French toasted, toad in the holed, cheesed, grilled, sopping up sauce, don't know where I would be without it. The best breads always seem to be baked in 1# and up loaves. Would one of you artisans out there think about creating a loaf for one that could realistically be eaten before it goes stale or has to be frozen? It would go a long way to feeding my cravings.

OK, back to the local thing. The valley where I live is world renowned for asparagus and we can all practically feel it poking through the soil. Fiddleheads? Nettles? Baby greens? Potatoes? Spring onions? Yup, got 'em all. The mind reels with all the possibilities for using them. What's crazy is that amidst all this spring sproinging I am thinking about a local fall menu. Ideas so far?
- smoked apple vinaigrette
- oven dried tomatoes with goat cheese
- parsnip panna cotta
- pork with dry apricot red onion confit
- rosemary pumpkin bread pudding
Sometimes it is difficult to think ahead of the season and plan. Sometimes we are forced to limit ourselves because there are so many options. I live in one of those places where October is more abundant than May. It does not suck and this is all even before input from my counterpart.

Comments

chef said…
hey! get out there and shoot some pics of all that nice produce growing...I want to see them...

Popular Posts