clothes

we have all been taught to learn, make the man. And the woman? No answer for that one. I learned a long time ago that if I intend to get anything done that does not involve cooking for the day; don't dress the part. Today was one of those days. Believe it or not, we own clothes that are not stained, ripped, smelly, objectionable, know how to take showers, preen and present. While much of the above did not happen, I went to work in human clothes. As opposed to what you might ask? Pirate ones I suppose.Certainly garb that did not make it easy to transfer my intentions to cooking from doing the boring as, yet needed, computer and planning stuff that really is the bigger part of my job.

Reactions were plentiful. ' I didn't recognize you. Great boots' (from the person who I am closest to). ' Cute, love the hair, snazzy, you look great, love your outfit (wins for most scary), like the scarf, you look nice'. Gets embarrassing and self- consciousissing after not too long. Yes, I have clothes, yes, I know (somewhat) how to put them together, I do not always look like a slob or wear a hat, I have some (yes, I dare say it) some kick ass articles that I am able to showcase from time to time. I WAS only going to work so it is not as if I was in club attire; still completely appropriate and functional. Did it help provide a more professional image? Yes. Was some of it calculated? Yes. Was it time? YES!

There is more to what I do than going in and changing food. I had a huge brain fart (how's that? discussing fashion and farts in the same post) that perhaps there is sometimes too much support, sometimes they need to be left to swim on their own. I will not let them sink, and I know they will not let themselves do that without sending out the SOS. Is the balance finally rearing it's beautiful head? J and I had several hours today of talking with others and talking and planning on our own that were highly productive. So, while it is unfortunate that it takes leaving home turf to create, now we know it and can carve time for what our focus needs to be. That time to envelope and label the goals we have. Today was another moment when it could happen. And, coming back to the place, we were able to solidify even more. It's the little steps that somehow become the biggest.

So, back to clothes. Do I need to designate a day of the week where I dress like a civilian? Starting to think yes. This week commences an experiment of spending way less time in the kitchen, while still being present to support them, so that the ideas and plans can gel, and I can go to the other place where friends dwell and recover (without having extra days off) and eat and sleep and continue to plan.

Curious how all this comes out of wardrobe choices...

Comments

Popular Posts