Sincerity?

I have been told that I am not sincere in my commitment to this company...this being part of that review posted about earlier; that I will never find the perfect kitchen and that I should just accept that and move on with my life, and be happy where I am. So the question is...once again, Is the perfect kitchen out there?

I am not talking about the one where nothing ever goes wrong; that is impossible. But the one where there is a common philosophy that I buy in to. Because I don't buy into everything...and since in the past I have not had a philosophy of cooking so much but a sort of 'ideal', I am now trying to establish what I do believe in...

So here goes:

support local agriculture and suppliers...and then support regional and national suppliers that promote the following...
respect your employees and each other
make a difference in the lives of people you interact with
be sustainable, organic, local, and ethical
be supported by the team
get paid a livable wage/benefits
be a cuisine I enjoy

I guess it all comes down to this: I want to work at a place that I believe supports me and those around me and that I can support by looking forward to going to work everyday and doing the most that i can to make sure that that place succeeds. A place that fulfills me. This could be a corporation...a local independent, a mom and pop, or an institution. But so far I have not found the one that I fit in to. And yes, I understand that I am hard to 'get', I am stubborn, cocky, moody, passionate, self centered, self conscious, and 'full of potential'.

What I have to give is this:

-15 years of professional experience in restaurants,
-an extensive knowledge of financials...i.e how to read and interpret a P&L into daily operations as well as being able to run a profitable kitchen/bar/dining room,
-a classical culinary training,
-multiple experiences in opening restaurants,
-experience in various ethnic and regional and technical cuisines including: latin, french, italian, pacific rim, creole/cajun, new american, southern, new england, seafood, butchery, charcuterie, garde manger, sous vide, baking and pastry, etc...
-ability to run front of house operations,
-experience as a trainer/teacher/educator in the culinary and food service fields,
-experience in menu writing, costing, and design,
-and above all, A PASSION FOR DOING THINGS THE RIGHT WAY!

So how is it so hard for me to fit into a mold? Because I question everything? Because I don't like political games? Because I am confident? Because I...?

So I have 4-6 months here to prove that I am committed to my career here at this hotel and with this company. Am I...Can I? The money is good...the money will be good if I stay and bite the bullet and become one of the 'cubicle' dwellers (not really in a cubicle, but the idea implies), and if I start to tow the party line.

And if I don't, then I can sink or swim.

Comments

Richie said…
move to San Francisco. We're ripe with restaurants like the ones you're looking for.

Popular Posts