Perfect

I was told twice last week that there is no such thing as the perfect kitchen to work in. That I should just grow up and accept that and deal with it. Do you believe that?

I mean, if you go back and reread Ruhlman's Soul of a Chef, and you get to the point where he is talking with TK about a perfect kitchen; the one where all the cooks share the same philosophies, the same passions, the same focus; where they all share the same responsibilities, the same cleaning duties, the same attention to detail...etc, etc, etc.

Do you believe that there is the perfect kitchen out there for you? We all know that with the myriad of personalities that professional kitchens attract, and the types of personalities that kitchens bring out/create...and the incestuous relationships therein, it is hard to picture one where there is no drama/tension/BS/issues. But can there be?

If all the cooks were the chef,
if all were collaborators in a common goal...to provide the best experience for the guest,
if all were focused, driven, detail oriented,
if all were passionate about the food/service/cleaning/sourcing/receiving/etc,
if all were given the opportunity to shine,
if all egos were respected and downplayed for the common good,
if the only politics were the ones related to who your gonna vote for,
if the farmer was involved,
if your dishwasher was treated as one of the family,
if the FOH understood the BOH, and the BOH understood the FOH,
if a livable wage was paid and benefits provided,
if your work was respected and cherished,

if
if
if

So maybe there is no one utopia of a kitchen...but that doesn't mean we can't strive to find/create/mutate one. This goes back to some of those missing posts from before, where we were discussing our 'perfect' restaurant. Somewhere you should be able to create/find that restaurant that fulfills all your needs, no matter what they are. I mean if you are a partying rock star, thats easy...clock in at almost any kitchen and you will be able to provide for your habits; I know, I used to. But now that I have grown up, I need more fulfillment in my life, a more stable 'career' and I want to do it somewhere where I LOVE to go spend 8, 10 , 12 hours of my day.

And I believe that it is out there. I have had glimpses of it in Stowe as a line cook working for a dear friend for the 'fun' of it. It didn't pay my bills, but it was fulfilling and I looked forward to it. I have had glimpses of it teaching, where the passion for food and work and this life ran strong in some of the students. I am sure those working for TK feel some of it. And I am sure that there are lots of mom and pops out there where the 'family' feeling is indeed felt.

So don't tell me its an impossible dream...for we should all 'have a dream'. And hopefully we shall all have it fulfilled.

And on that note....read this-

How to be awesome.

Comments

Popular Posts