fallen

For this new chocolate bar we have at work. Burnt caramel with Hawaiian sea salt enrobed in bark chocolate. Now, this is not your average candy bar, nope, not by a long shot. I first came across the caramel black pepper phenomenon several years back during a foie tasting of all things. It is an easy leap to the salty caramelized goodness with the base note of chocolate. Those Frenchies have been onto salting their sweet for a long time. So have we for that matter, it has just not been as obvious. Suffice it to say that I started my third bar in one week last night!

Part of the appeal is the mineral crunch between your teeth when you bite into the chocolate to soften it and warm up the caramel. Part of it is the sexy marbling visible through the packaging. Part of it is that the bar is somewhat more affordable than the eminently better truffles produced by the same company. We are out of the truffles though; you make due with what you have. I've been salting my hot chocolate (and, yes, I admit it, even whipped cream) for years. The appeal of opposites enhancing. Where would we be without salt.

This bar is the carrot being dangled in front of all the managers at work to present the most interesting check in at our weekly meeting. Brainstorming time! A poem won this week. I know I can come up with something; maybe a DIY version.

Comments

Popular Posts