right

It may have taken five months, however, today I had the moment. The moment when the daily shuffle feels like habit, you know where that thing is and can put your hand on it without looking, you hit a groove, you are in the zone, you feel like you are where you belong. While it is not really possible to find that thing in the same place every time in the current situation, the sentiment remains the same. It was far from a perfect day. Not every task was complete, there was waste- of movement and product, the usual rifts (and riffs), the last minute scramble. And yet...

And yet, I kept thinking about how much I am enjoying going to the same place, seeing the same people, not repeating myself every two effing weeks like a broken record. Sure, there is a lot of repetition, just like in any kitchen; it really is assembly line work after all. And we are getting ready to be slammed.

And yet, I keep going in grinning like a fool and asking for more and loving (almost) every minute of it. The pleasure of the average is sinking in. OK, perhaps not average, I have fought too long and hard to settle for that. Pleasure of the known, with enough of the element of surprise to keep it interesting. And keeping it real. The real part is what tickles me. I am finally, finally!, back to cutting and grilling and braising and sauteing and baking and stuffing and rolling and plattering and ordering and cleaning and managing and cleaning and being bone tired. Ch ch ch changes or not, it continues to feel good. It is right.

Comments

Popular Posts