Danny Meyer

So, I am reading Danny Meyer's book Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business But it is pretty slow going so far. Its supposed to be part memoir and part management book. But so far all it has been has been a recollection of how he got started in the business; which is interesting, but a bit long winded. Particularly since he seems to have come form a well to do family situation and had made a lot of money doing sales before trying to open a restaurant.

I have been hoping to get a little motivation and inspiration from the book. My Meyer is the king of service...just check out how many awards he has for excellence in service and hospitality. And since I feel that my 'hospitality' is a little lacking lately, I thought it might be a good read...just like Ruhlman's Soul of a Chef is a good inspiration when I feel that my cooking is a little flat feeling.

I have never really found 'management' books interesting...or gotten through one of them. You know like 7 steps to effective management, or managing with aloha (thats the local 'bible'). I find them dull and not practical, and so I never get in to reading them. And so maybe I have never benefitted from them...what do you think?

I do find some of Meyer's analogies fitting so far...the interaction between guest and proprietor as a 'relationship', in the more personal definition of the word. As in 'I am in a relationship.'

I wish sometimes that Shuna would write a book...more inspiration from her on Eggbeater right now...http://eggbeater.typepad.com/shuna/2008/10/the-weeds-resta.html

Comments

Popular Posts