60 Days

are up on Sunday which means I get reviewed. Always makes me nervous; what am i effing up? Where am I falling short? Am I moving fast enough? Am I accomplishing enough? Am I not bitching too much? Am I contributing? Am I overstepping where I have not been invited? I think I know the answers to most of these; of course, my review of myself (or anyone else) is likely way harsher than what will come from outside. As E mentioned the other night I keep DM and KM in check by talking to them as a peer. Don't think I know how to do anything but any longer. Now I need the official approval to maintain the trail of accountability that falls short. Oblique enough?

On the other hand, autumn is arriving and I am ECSTATIC to have the seasonal foods arriving and overblown at the shrink that is available from the land of produce. Squash, local peaches (odd to me in September but there it is), plums, apples (hello smoke!), pork loin, braising, stewing, poaching, it is all so thrilling to be cooking, yet again, the foods I love most. They are even buying the shit and MnM got some for dinner the other night and now I have to teach him to cook wehani rice risotto style- not that I mind in the least. So nice to have a break from the hippy patties (tofu, shiitake, carrot, seaweed, edamame) I make 3x a week, though those still sell like hotcakes- no accounting for 'health' food.

What have I actually done with some of above mentioned bounty? Roasted pork loin with green tomato relish- nod to Cooking By Hand, worlds cutest butternut squash filled with before mentioned wehani rice, smoked apples, hazelnuts and shallot, game hen with plum ancho butter glaze, acorn squash with house Italian pork sausage (hot and sweet), mushroom, caramel onion, roasted pepper and red wine, fennel and leek gratin (heart attack on a plate yet oh so fulfilling), sockeye salmon with pear butter and fried sage. The joy just goes on and on. I seem to be on a kick to get the people to eat fruit in savory applications whether they like/want to or not. Can't wait to get in duck and short ribs and brisket and more pork butt and begin the charcuteries endless possibilities. It is good to be a cook in New England in the fall!

Yet another note- took myself out for day off dinner tonight and went to the one place in town where I know the barkeep. Gracious as ever- thanks Matt. Duck confit panini and poutine with duck gravy may never be beat. To top it all off I have another full day to myself tomorrow- spending time with the sorting project, trying to readjust all my online bills, light bulb and wrench shopping, maybe breaking out the ribs to christen the new smoker as well. Smoker is not mine; I now have keys to the spot where it lives though so perhaps the sky is the limit with that one.

I am finding that I miss creating plates. One portion of food to be consumed at one sitting in a place that is not your home. How to recreate this situation is an interesting conundrum that keeps me on my toes at work. If I cannot dictate how and when and where you eat it, how can I guarantee that it is ideal? Letting go may become part of the operative of this gig, this go around. And, it is (to state it yet again- sorry chef) a good go around that appears to be keeping me content and engaged and happy with those who care (almost) as much about this deal of picking up a knife and flame and altering food to make it good.

Comments

Popular Posts