Sous Chef?

Thanks, again, to Shuna for the brilliant post about what being a sous chef means. While it is not the position I was hired for, nor one that exisits where I am, I have decided to be her. What does this mean- that I go in and try not to get frustrated that the walk-in is a pit (again), that the dishwashers are putting anything anywhere, that I fake answers to things I know nothing about, that I taste and advise and (still) teach, that Z. complemented my patience last night, that I was picking chicken till 9:30 then realized that the piano had not been scrubbed correctly, that today I will take care of the hood vents if it is the last thing I do, that I need to have the conversation with the KM when he returns from a long weekend.

Since I do not arrive at work till 1:30 (schedule says 3) and have not gotten a handle on who does the ordering, I am baffled by the sheer quantities of food that arrive. Will we really go through a case of parsley before it turns, have I not learned to open my eyes and really see what is there before listening to the request for another case of zucchini, do we really want the deli meats stored below raw ones? Yeah, I know the answers to all the above. And I need to know that I will be backed up if I start making decisions. Last I knew the KM organized the walk-in and I am confused by the 'order'. So, while he is away, I suppose because it is my nature, I have been thinking about what I need in the midst of attempting to make sure the needs of the place are met first.

What do I need? More direction. I know the chef never has enough hours in the day and is pulled to wits end, stretching every fiber to the limit in the incredible effort it takes to accomplish the ever changing demands. However, I need more of a presence from him; I need to know what the overarching vision is for the case, the hot bar, the grab 'n' go. I need to know how to assign PLUs, make signs, access invoices so I can make educated guesses at pricing items, I need the food I make not to sit for four days before being put out for sale. I need to know how far I can command before I am stepping on sacred toes. I need to have more parameters. I need to know what he needs from me; or we need to define that together. Does he have to sit in the office (poor bastard) and catch up on the almost three months of paperwork that have been pushed aside? Fine. I need to know how to make that possible, which means I need to know what my role is- at least the framework of it in the chaos. I need to know that he will drive the bus. I am happy to be the co-pilot.

Right now, though, I need to finish garnishing the knife in aspic. I need to know that this will be an opportunity to keep the levity in the face of a difficult 'I need to talk to you' when I arrive tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts