White Girl Maki

In the midst of terrible news, a day off when I stared at the walls, talking to people in all different time zones, two days in the kitchen helped to get me out of my head before travelling. KM decided that maki rolls should be a popular item for our grab 'n' go case. Hence, I found myself searching for ingredients I would stick in there. No tobiko (gotta put that on the list), no umeboshi, no daikon, no napa cabbage; after a suggestion for Phildelphia rolls, and after much eye rolling from me, we settled on smoked salmon with avocado and carrot and a veggie version of carrot, cucumber and avocado. Now, I never did end up tasting any of this batch because avocado makes the inside of my throat itch. However, the first batch sold in less than 24 hours. Good sign that likely means I will have more of a chance to keep pushing the fillings in new directions.

Day two of the maki experiment and I found myself with time enough to be able to show someone else how to do them so it's not always me. We only have one sushi mat. In looking around the kitchen for equipment you begin to see the possibilities when you need something that is not there. (Someday I will learn how to apply this to the rest of my life.) We needed two mats to finish the project. Silpat to the rescue.

Comments

chef said…
Does that mean there is a market there for a sushi restaurant? And is that where we should be thinking now?

Popular Posts