The quiet month...

is over. Started a new gig yesterday and while I am having a financial freak out it feels great to be back in the kitchen. So great that after venting to my new (I don't know what to call him yet- he does not like chef- KM I guess will do), ok then, KM about it I went on about the business of cooking and had a lot of fun. It will take me several weeks to remember how to get back the old kitchen persona where it is ok to cuss like a pirate and make crass comments and sing and actually say what is on my mind without having to worry about student sensibilities. Had a decent start at it yesterday. And, there is a chance I may be the only woman in the kitchen with the night crew; that's how I like it. There is much to say about previously mentioned KM even after one shift. Told him already that he is the doppelganger of one of my favorite people on the planet. Wish that person would reappear from the canyons of NYC. Somewhat dangerous territory for me. In talking to family I have already been asked to watch my heart. It could be flung far open and too much could pour out; it's been far too long and several other recent interactions remind me of what has- been missing is the wrong phrase- not been a focus is more apropos.

The new place is a recently opened food coop and I am part of the prepared foods department. Apparently in two hours last night I accomplished more than one of the departed would in an entire shift. I am still trying to learn where everything is and I have not even gotten a new notebook yet. What will happen when I understand the flow and customer expectations and management desires? I see this as a place where I will have room to grow and we talked about it from the start of the interview process. While I am making less than half (HALF!) of what I walked away from, my mantra is, once again, it's only money, I'll get more. What matters right now is that I am making food I believe in and am around people who are talking about food as well. There have been several who have commented on the apparent lack of local interest in the topic and what is delicious and beautiful. I am excited to be feeling like I can be part of a group that is going to inspire the devotion to local, sustainable, unmasked joy of ingredients and producers that surrounded the Canada community. For now, especially, it just feels good to have a knife in my hand again.

Comments

Popular Posts