a new style

Should I be disgusted with myself? I mean for all the denigration of molecular gastronomy...I have been using hydrocolloids lately.


And I dont really know what I am doing...so I am learning as I go...kinda like when I taught myself how to make pasta. I mean I have been good with aspic for a while...and feel comfortable with gelatine in savory, but I have been trying to make a marsala mustard that doesn’t make you gag and is spreadable on the plate for sauces without running. I had come to a compromise by using some marsala wine jelly that had been kicking around, dry marsala, and dijon. But now I am out of the jelly. So I ordered some pure apple pectin. But I dont really know what to do with it. I made a batch last night...and although it is tasty...I used too much pectin and now have to keep the sauce at room temp. With is good for temp and consistency...but not so good for food safety and keeping the product for longer than one shift.


So, now I have to study up on the process of hydrocolloids and figure out my formulas.



Good times.

Comments

sarah said…
You could just look it up in a book like 'Mes Confitures', a really great one about preserves. There should be some kind of ratio for turning fortified wine into jelly without simply reducing it since it would be too thick. If you have not figured it out by the time I pull it out of a box, I will look.

Popular Posts