I thought town was bigger...

At 4:55 yesterday afternoon I was sitting at my friend's bar waiting for a duck confit panini to take home. The cattle call began at 5 pm; my prelim interview was already over and now I wait and look around. While waiting for dinner I did get a great story time moment that reminds me that there really is very little anonyminity in this life- no matter what size place you live. Apparently the gentleman who interviewed me was the closer at a restaurant after one mother's day with all FOH doing a double. He lived upstairs at the time so you can imagine the up and down action to get through the day. Long story short- next morning the first person in found candles still lit, money not locked up, lights blazing- clearly not the standard closing procedure. This brilliant individual managed to become manager of the newest outlet for the owner at the meeting where I suspect the intent was immediate termination and is now conducting the business of opening a new business. Impressive. Not sure if that is the way I would make decisions about advancement from within; I might choose him to represent me at a murder trial however.

Resume did get dropped at a place that truly interests me where I am sure many more stories of hilarity would abound. It's nice to have the luxury of pacing my search and knowing what I want. What is it that I want? To cook food that celebrates the ingredients for what they are, to cook to the best of my abilities without being asked (or expected) to compromise too much and to enjoy it while I am in the shit. Too much? I think not.

Comments

Popular Posts